The first fragrance in the Bleu de Chanel line was launched in 2010 and quickly gained popularity for its sophisticated and modern appeal. The scent is described as a woody aromatic fragrance, combining notes such as citrus, ginger, cedar, sandalwood, and vetiver, among others. The result is a versatile fragrance suitable for various occasions, with a focus on elegance and masculinity.
In This Review
Last Updated –
First Published –
- Key Takeaways
- Reviews of Bleu de Chanel
- About Blue de Chanel
- Bleu de Chanel The 2018 Video
- Fragrance Notes
- What Does Bleu de Chanel Smell Like?
- Sillage & Longevity Of Bleu de Chanel
- Fragrance Character Of Bleu de Chanel
- Reviews & Opinions About Bleu de Chanel?
- Fragrance Similar To Bleu de Chanel
- Alternatives To Bleu de Chanel
- Before You Buy Bleu De Chanel
- Bleu de Chanel: Bleu de Chanel is a line of men’s fragrances developed by the renowned French fashion house, Chanel. It was first introduced in 2010 and quickly gained popularity for its sophisticated and modern appeal.
- Fragrance Notes: The fragrance features a woody aromatic character, combining notes like citrus, ginger, cedar, sandalwood, and vetiver. The blend results in a versatile and refined olfactory experience suitable for various occasions.
- Inspiration and Character: The name “Bleu de Chanel” is inspired by the color blue, symbolizing freshness and strength. The fragrance characterizes as a woody aromatic scent, with prominent woody and aromatic elements.
- Sillage and Longevity: Bleu de Chanel is known for its moderate sillage, leaving a noticeable but not overpowering trail. It is also praised for its longevity, lasting on the skin for 6 to 10 hours on average.
- Opinions and Alternatives: People’s opinions about Bleu de Chanel are generally positive, appreciating its elegance, versatility, and fresh appeal. For those seeking alternatives, fragrances like Dior Sauvage, Yves Saint Laurent Y, and Versace Dylan Blue are considered similar options in the woody aromatic category.
About Blue de Chanel
Bleu de Chanel is a line of men’s fragrances developed by the well-known French fashion house, Chanel. The collection was first introduced in 2010 and has since gained popularity for its elegant and contemporary appeal.
The inspiration behind the name “Bleu de Chanel” lies in the association with the color blue, symbolizing freshness and strength. The fragrances in this line are classified as woody aromatic, combining various notes to create a refined and versatile olfactory experience.
The scent is designed to cater to the modern man, offering a harmonious blend of citrus, ginger, cedar, sandalwood, and other ingredients. This blend aims to exude a sense of confidence and masculinity without overpowering the senses.
Chanel’s reputation for craftsmanship and attention to detail is reflected in the “Bleu de Chanel” fragrances, which are considered to be a timeless and popular choice among individuals seeking a sophisticated and captivating scent.
Ultimately, you can explore Chanel’s perfumes to form your own opinion and preferences based on your own individual taste. “It’s unlike any other Chanel fragrance” says perfumer and Chanel de Bleu creator Jacques Polge in this video.
The fragrance notes of Bleu de Chanel, featuring invigorating top notes of citrus and vetiver, followed by a heart of ginger, pink pepper, and nutmeg. The base notes consist of cedar and sandalwood, creating a well-balanced and sophisticated woody aroma.
Top Notes: The top notes are the initial scents that make the first impression when the fragrance is applied. In Bleu de Chanel, these top notes contribute to the fresh and invigorating opening of the scent.
- Citrus: The fragrance opens with vibrant and zesty citrus notes. These typically include elements like lemon, bergamot, or grapefruit, providing a burst of freshness and brightness to the overall composition.
- Vetiver: Vetiver is often present in the top notes of Bleu de Chanel. This earthy and slightly woody note adds a touch of complexity to the initial impression while maintaining a crisp and clean character.
Heart or Middle Notes: The heart or middle notes form the core of the fragrance and become more prominent once the top notes start to fade. These notes create the main body of Bleu de Chanel, defining its character.
- Ginger: As the fragrance settles into the heart, the spicy and aromatic scent of ginger becomes apparent. Ginger adds warmth and energy to the composition, enhancing the overall appeal.
- Pink Pepper: Pink pepper is a common heart note in Bleu de Chanel. It adds a subtle peppery and slightly floral aroma, contributing to the fragrance’s depth and sophistication.
- Nutmeg: Nutmeg is another heart note that brings a touch of spiciness and aromatic sweetness, harmonizing with the other ingredients in the heart to create a well-balanced blend.
Base Notes: The base notes emerge as the top and heart notes begin to dissipate. These scents linger the longest and provide the foundation for the overall fragrance.
- Cedar: In the base notes of Bleu de Chanel, cedar offers a woody and elegant essence. It provides a stable and enduring foundation to the fragrance.
- Sandalwood: Sandalwood adds a creamy and velvety aspect to the base, imparting a smooth and comforting element to the overall scent.
The combination of these fragrance notes in Bleu de Chanel results in a sophisticated and modern woody aromatic scent. The fresh citrus opening gives way to a dynamic heart of spices and floral hints, all resting on a solid base of woody accords. The interaction of these notes creates a captivating and versatile olfactory experience suitable for various occasions.
What Does Bleu de Chanel Smell Like?
Bleu de Chanel is a woody aromatic fragrance that is best described as sophisticated, fresh, and modern. The scent opens with vibrant and zesty citrus notes, typically featuring elements like lemon, bergamot, or grapefruit, providing a burst of freshness and brightness. This fresh and invigorating opening is complemented by the earthy and slightly woody note of vetiver, which adds depth and complexity to the initial impression.
As the fragrance settles, the heart or middle notes come into play, showcasing the aromatic and spicy side of Bleu de Chanel. The warm and energetic scent of ginger becomes apparent, adding a touch of dynamism to the composition.
Pink pepper, another heart note, introduces a subtle peppery and slightly floral aroma, enhancing the fragrance’s depth and sophistication. Nutmeg, also in the heart notes, contributes a touch of spiciness and aromatic sweetness, harmonizing with the other ingredients to create a well-balanced blend.
In the base notes, Bleu de Chanel reveals its woody and elegant essence. Cedar provides a stable and enduring foundation, while sandalwood adds a creamy and velvety aspect, imparting a smooth and comforting element to the overall scent.
The combination of these fragrance notes creates a captivating and modern woody aromatic scent that strikes a balance between sophistication and approachability. Bleu de Chanel’s fresh and invigorating opening gradually gives way to a dynamic heart of spices and floral hints, all resting on a solid base of woody accords. The result is a versatile fragrance suitable for various occasions, exuding a sense of confidence and masculinity without overpowering the senses.
Sillage & Longevity Of Bleu de Chanel
Sillage: Sillage refers to the projection or trail that a fragrance leaves behind as you wear it. Bleu de Chanel is generally known to have moderate sillage, which means it will have a noticeable presence without being overly overpowering. It leaves a pleasant scent that others around you can detect, but it doesn’t create an intense or overwhelming cloud of fragrance.
Longevity: The longevity of a fragrance refers to how long it lasts on the skin after application. Bleu de Chanel is well-regarded for its longevity. On average, it can last anywhere from 6 to 10 hours, depending on individual body chemistry, application technique, and environmental factors. This extended duration makes it a reliable choice for individuals seeking a fragrance that remains present throughout the day or evening.
Note that individual experiences with sillage and longevity can vary based on skin type, climate, and other personal factors. The best way to determine how Bleu de Chanel performs on your skin is to try it out yourself and observe how it interacts with your body chemistry.
Fragrance Character Of Bleu de Chanel
The fragrance character of Bleu de Chanel is best described as a “woody aromatic” scent. This classification is based on the predominant olfactory characteristics present in the fragrance.
Woody: The fragrance features prominent woody notes, specifically cedar and sandalwood in the base, which contribute to the overall earthy and refined aspect of the scent. The woody notes often provide depth and longevity to the fragrance.
Aromatic: The aromatic aspect is attributed to the heart notes, such as ginger, pink pepper, and nutmeg. These ingredients infuse the fragrance with a spicy and herbaceous quality, adding complexity and energy to the overall composition.
Together, the woody and aromatic elements create a captivating and modern fragrance character that strikes a balance between sophistication and approachability. The fresh top notes of citrus and vetiver, combined with the warmth of the heart and the enduring base, make Bleu de Chanel an alluring choice for individuals seeking a versatile and distinguished scent experience.
Reviews & Opinions About Bleu de Chanel?
Bleu de Chanel has generally received positive feedback from both fragrance enthusiasts and casual users alike. It has become a popular choice in the world of men’s fragrances, and many people appreciate its sophisticated, modern, and versatile character.
According to Monika Colognes, a fragrance reviewer of Men’s Fragrances, Monika tested Bleu de Chanel with YSL Y and got feedback from women on the streets of London. Here’s what the ladies think about Bleu de Chanel with a 9 vs. 5 vote in favor of Bleu de Chanel, which is the winner in her test below.
Some common positive opinions about Bleu de Chanel include:
- Elegant and Versatile: Many users praise Bleu de Chanel for its versatility, making it suitable for various occasions, from casual settings to formal events.
- Fresh and Invigorating: The initial burst of citrus in the top notes, combined with the earthy vetiver, is often described as refreshing and energizing.
- Long-Lasting: The fragrance’s longevity is often praised, with many users enjoying the scent’s staying power on their skin throughout the day.
- Compliment-Getter: Bleu de Chanel has garnered compliments from others, making it appealing for social and professional interactions.
- Mass Appeal: It is seen as a fragrance that can be appreciated by a wide range of people, appealing to various age groups and personal styles.
As with any fragrance, individual opinions can vary based on personal preferences and skin chemistry. Some people may find the scent too common or mainstream, while others might consider it a staple in their collection.
To get a more current and well-rounded view of people’s opinions, it’s beneficial to check recent reviews and online forums where fragrance enthusiasts share their experiences and thoughts on Bleu de Chanel, below you have the ratings of more than 7,189 reviews with a average rating of 4.42 starts out of 5 stars.
Fragrance Similar To Bleu de Chanel
In comparison, several fragrances are often considered to be similar to Bleu de Chanel due to their shared woody aromatic character and overall appeal.
However, it’s important to note that fragrance preferences are subjective, and individual body chemistry can also influence how a scent smells on each person. That said, some fragrances that have been mentioned as similar to Bleu de Chanel include:
- Dior Sauvage: Another popular men’s fragrance, Dior Sauvage, shares some similarities with Bleu de Chanel in its woody and fresh aromatic profile. It features bergamot, ambroxan, and pepper, among other notes, creating a magnetic and modern scent.
- Yves Saint Laurent Y: Y is a woody aromatic fragrance with notes of bergamot, ginger, and sage. Like Bleu de Chanel, it blends freshness with warm undertones, offering a contemporary and masculine scent.
- Versace Dylan Blue: Dylan Blue is a versatile woody aromatic fragrance, combining notes like bergamot, grapefruit, and violet leaf. It has a similar fresh and energetic vibe, making it comparable to Bleu de Chanel.
- Prada Luna Rossa Carbon: Luna Rossa Carbon is an aromatic fougère fragrance with notes of bergamot, pepper, and patchouli. It shares some common ground with Bleu de Chanel’s freshness and elegance.
- Giorgio Armani Acqua di Giò Profumo: Acqua di Giò Profumo is a woody aromatic scent featuring bergamot, incense, and patchouli. It exudes a sophisticated and aquatic essence, making it akin to Bleu de Chanel in certain aspects.
It’s essential to try the fragrances on your skin and allow them to interact with your body chemistry to determine which one suits you best. Additionally, the similarity to Bleu de Chanel may vary depending on individual perceptions and preferences, so experiencing them firsthand is key to finding the perfect fit.
Alternatives To Bleu de Chanel
The best alternatives to Bleu de Chanel would depend on individual preferences and tastes, but here are some well-regarded fragrances that share similarities in the woody aromatic category and overall appeal:
- Dior Sauvage: This fragrance has gained immense popularity and is often considered a suitable alternative to Bleu de Chanel. Dior Sauvage features fresh top notes of bergamot, pepper, and ambroxan, resulting in a magnetic and modern scent.
- Yves Saint Laurent Y: Y is another woody aromatic fragrance with a blend of fresh and warm notes, including bergamot, ginger, and sage. It shares a contemporary and masculine character, making it comparable to Bleu de Chanel.
- Versace Dylan Blue: Dylan Blue is a versatile fragrance with a blend of citrus, fruity, and woody notes. It exudes freshness and energy, making it a potential alternative for those who enjoy Bleu de Chanel’s dynamic character.
- Prada Luna Rossa Carbon: Luna Rossa Carbon is an aromatic fougère fragrance with notes of bergamot, pepper, and patchouli. It shares some common ground with Bleu de Chanel’s freshness and elegance.
- Giorgio Armani Acqua di Giò Profumo: Acqua di Giò Profumo is a woody aromatic scent with bergamot, incense, and patchouli. It features a sophisticated and aquatic essence, which may appeal to fans of Bleu de Chanel.
- Creed Aventus: Aventus is a popular and iconic fragrance known for its pineapple, blackcurrant, and birch notes. While it has a distinct character, its versatility and appeal have garnered comparisons to Bleu de Chanel.
- Montblanc Legend Spirit: Legend Spirit is a fresh and woody fragrance featuring notes of bergamot, lavender, and sandalwood. It offers a more affordable option for those seeking a similar style to Bleu de Chanel.
According to Jeremy Fragrance and to the question, “Should you buy this fragrance?” The answer is “totally yes”. And with the best alternative and biggest competitor being Dior Sauvage, Bleu de Chanel the original Eau de Toilette is best one to buy says Jeremy since it win in the “compliment category”.
Remember, fragrance preferences are highly personal, and what works well for one person may not be the same for another. It’s always a good idea to sample these fragrances on your skin to see how they interact with your body chemistry and to find the one that suits your individual taste and style best.
Bleu de Chanel is a line of men’s fragrances developed by Chanel, first launched in 2010, and has gained popularity for its elegant and contemporary appeal. Inspired by the color blue, symbolizing freshness and strength, the fragrances in this line are classified as woody aromatic, offering a refined and versatile olfactory experience.
The scent is designed to cater to the modern man, with a harmonious blend of citrus, ginger, cedar, sandalwood, and other ingredients. The fragrance is well-regarded for its longevity, moderate sillage, and mass appeal, making it suitable for various occasions.
While many users appreciate Bleu de Chanel for its sophistication and freshness, opinions may vary based on individual preferences and body chemistry. To get a better sense of people’s thoughts, exploring recent reviews and feedback from fragrance enthusiasts can provide a more well-rounded view.
Several fragrances, such as Dior Sauvage, Yves Saint Laurent Y, and Versace Dylan Blue, are considered similar to Bleu de Chanel due to their woody aromatic character. However, finding the best alternative depends on personal taste, and it is recommended to try these fragrances on the skin to determine the most suitable match.
Overall, Bleu de Chanel remains a popular choice among individuals seeking a captivating and versatile scent experience, offering a modern blend of fresh and warm notes that cater to a broad range of preferences.
Reviews of Bleu de Chanel
7,189 Ratings of Bleu de Chanel
- CHANEL - Based on 254 reviews
- Fragrantica - Based on 1,938 reviews
- Sephora USA - Based on 117 reviews
- Amazon USA - Based on 2,745 reviews
- Macy's - Based on 1,308 reviews
- Walmart - Based on 25 reviews
- Nordstrom - Based on 187 reviews
- FragranceNET - Based on 44 reviews
- Dillards - Based on 242 reviews
- Bloomingdales - Based on 118 reviews
- Parfumo - Rating: 7.7/10 · 1,883 votes
How the rating has been calculated: Bleu de Chanel has garnered a significant number of reviews across various platforms. Users from CHANEL, Fragrantica, Sephora USA, Amazon USA, Macy’s, Walmart, Nordstrom, FragranceNET, Dillards, Bloomingdales, and Parfumo have provided their feedback on the fragrance with a total of 7,189 reviews.
Pros and Cons?
It’s essential to consider both the pros and cons of BLEU de CHANEL and evaluate how they align with your personal preferences and requirements before making a purchase. Trying the fragrance on your skin and allowing it to interact with your body chemistry will help you determine if it suits your individual taste and style.
Should You Buy Bleu de Chanel?
Whether or not you should buy Bleu de Chanel fragrance depends on your personal preferences, budget, and how the fragrance performs on your skin. Ultimately, the decision to buy Bleu de Chanel or any fragrance is a personal one. It’s recommended to visit a store and sample the fragrance on your skin to experience how it interacts with your body chemistry and to see if you truly enjoy the scent. Additionally, reading more recent reviews from various sources can give you insights into other users’ experiences and perspectives on the fragrance.
Versatility: BLEU de CHANEL is a versatile fragrance suitable for various occasions, from casual daytime wear to more formal evening events.
Modern and Sophisticated: The fragrance is well-regarded for its modern and sophisticated character, appealing to a broad range of individuals.
Longevity: BLEU de CHANEL is praised for its longevity, with many users reporting that the scent lasts for a significant amount of time on the skin.
Mass Appeal: The fragrance has a mass appeal and is appreciated by a wide range of people, making it a popular and safe choice for those seeking a captivating scent.
Positive Compliments: Many users report receiving positive compliments when wearing BLEU de CHANEL, adding to its appeal and allure.
Commonness: Due to its popularity, BLEU de CHANEL has become a relatively common fragrance, which may lead some individuals to seek more unique or niche scents.
Personal Preferences: As with any fragrance, individual preferences and body chemistry play a significant role in how BLEU de CHANEL smells on each person. Some may find the scent does not suit their tastes or reacts differently on their skin.
Sillage Intensity: While BLEU de CHANEL is generally known for having moderate sillage, some users may prefer fragrances with stronger projection.
Price: Being a high-end designer fragrance, BLEU de CHANEL may be on the pricier side for some consumers, especially compared to more budget-friendly options.
Synthetic Accusations: As with many mainstream fragrances, some critics accuse BLEU de CHANEL of using synthetic ingredients, which may be a concern for those seeking all-natural or organic scents.
User Review4.5 (2 votes)
What's Your Reaction?
Meet Martin Lozano, the visionary Founder of The Gentleman’sLife Magazine. Fueled by a passion for excellence, he redefined luxury lifestyle publications, giving rise to the ultimate guide for sophisticated living. Martin's commitment to quality, success, and authenticity is reflected in every aspect, from fragrances to elegant suits, exclusive lounges to luxury travel experiences. With a team of passionate writers, he empowers a community of modern gentlemen, sharing the pursuit of excellence.